History


1916

Zebra, Elephant and new sign

The City of Jackson acquires 79 acres of land from Samuel Livingston for $36,000.

1919

The original Zoo consisted of fireman’s pets, squirrels, deer, raccoons, alligators and rabbits. This collection was housed in the Central Fire Station in downtown Jackson (now the Jackson Chamber of Commerce Building).

1921

The City Council voted to situate the Zoo on the land acquired from Samuel Livingston and became known as the Livingston Park Zoo. Some of the initial exhibits still stand today (i.e. the monkey castle and the Elephant House Cafe).

1930’s

The Zoo survived the depression and built an education center.

Monkey Island & future docent

1948

Jackson State College president, Dr. Jacob L. Reddix, helped expand the animal collection. New animals included chimpanzees, gray mangabey monkeys, a white-tailed colobus, an African loon, a lemur and two pythons.

1950’s & 60’s

The zoo was renamed The R.M. Taylor Zoo after the city commissioner who spearheaded some development of the giraffe exhibit and the large mammal moats (Asian Grottos).

1964

The zoo was renamed the Jackson Zoological Society and started moving towards current zoo trends by changing from a varied menagerie to an organized, scientific collection.

1970’s

Discovery Zoo

The children’s petting zoo and animal hospital was built. The Friends of the Jackson Zoo were formed (1975).

1985

The African Rainforest exhibit was developed.

1989

The Zoo became AAZPA accredited (now known as the AZA). The children’s petting zoo was renovated to become the Discovery Zoo.

Early 1990’s

Original buildings were updated to include the conversion of the Elephant House into a café. The Zoo’s animal collection increased through intra-zoo trading and through SSP breeding programs.

1995

State government approved legislation that provided $4 million for capital improvements.

1996

The Zoo became a member of a community organization called ZAPP (Zoo Area Progressive Partnership); a community organization that assist in the regeneration of the neighborhoods surrounding the zoo.

1998

The city agreed to a $1.5 million dollar match, making the African Savannah and Mississippi Wilderness exhibits possible.

2004

The Endangered Species Carousel opened. Carousel & Elephant House

2005

The African Savannah exhibit opened.

2006

Wilderness Mississippi exhibit opened. The zoo was named a “Southern Travel Treasure” by AAA Magazine.

2007

The zoo was named “Travel Attraction of the Year” by the Mississippi Tourism Association and “Attraction of the Year” by the Jackson Convention Visitors Bureau. Construction of the Gertrude. C. Ford Education Center began.

2010

The new 8,000 sq ft Sumatran Tiger exhibit opens.

2012

The Gertrude C. Ford Education Center Display Hall opens.

2013

The Zoo undergoes a new and exciting branding image with a mission to “Zoo it Better.”

2014

Endangered Sumatran tiger cub born on May 22. Jackson Zoo specialty license plate introduced.

2015

Twin Red panda cubs born (endangered). Partnership with Jackson State University instated until 2018. Changing rooms and lounge added to Splash Pad.

2016

Seating at the Gertrude C Ford Wildlife Adventures Theater completed. Rhino barn renovations finished with the support of Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Implementation of Experience Zoo, donating memberships to families of first responders and military through corporate donations.

2017

Dinos arrive from Billings Productions for a three-month stay along the back trail of the Zoo. Two male Red ruffed lemurs (endangered) born in May. Belhaven University enters into a Memorandum of Understanding with the Jackson Zoo for educational outreach.