Thank you for your interest in Jackson Zoo internship opportunities! By checking this site often, you can learn more about the Zoo and what we have to offer.
College students or recent graduates who wish to apply should send a cover letter and resume to the respective party, based on the internship description.
The cover letter should include the following:
- Why you are interested in an internship at the Jackson Zoo
- Where you heard about the intern program
- What intern opportunities interest you
- For Animal Care Internships- your first and second choices for animal area: Primates, Hoofstock, Carnivores, Discovery Zoo, Birds.
- For Education Programs Internship- why you are interested in informal/zoo education
- What you would like to gain from an internship
Fall Semester internship
- runs first full week of September through the month of November
- application due July 31. (Extended to August 31, 2015)
Spring Semester internship
- Animal Care Internship- runs first full week of February through the month of April.
- Education Programs Internship – runs first full week of February through the month of May. (16 week internship)
- application due December 31st
- Animal Care Internship- runs first full week of June through the month of July.
- Education Programs Internship – runs mid-May through mid-August
- application due March 31st
Marketing and Communications Department
Description: The intern will assist with Marketing & Communications projects under the supervision of the Marketing & Communications Manager. Projects include research for marketing development, social media development, website & digital content, photography and videography, etc. Please send resume and cover letter to: Angela Harris at email@example.com with Internship in subject line, or call 601-352-2580 ext. 227.
major gifts & fundraising
Description: The intern will assist with Annual Fund programs and projects under the supervision of the Director of Major Gifts & Annual Fund. Please send resume and cover letter to: Josh Friedel at firstname.lastname@example.org with Internship in subject line, or call 601-352-2580 ext 225.
Animal Care Department
Animal Care Internship
Description: The Jackson Zoo’s Animal Care Internship is an unpaid, un-benefited professional animal keeping intern position in various animal areas of the Jackson Zoo. Interns will provide animal care and perform husbandry training tasks to a large collection of exotic and domestic animals.
Education Programs Internship
Description: The Jackson Zoo’s Programs Internship is an unpaid, un-benefited professional education intern position in the Jackson Zoo’s Education Department. Interns will provide program development support, teach educational programs, interact with public on grounds, assist with ambassador animal care and training, and assist with events, volunteers, and conservation.