What can you do, at the Jackson Zoo?
We have several volunteer opportunities for many ages and abilities.
Education Volunteers are volunteers who specialize in educating the public about the environment and the animals at the Zoo.
Junior Docents are teenage volunteers who are trained to assist with animal care.
Don’t think you have the experience? NO WORRIES! We will train you!
Must commit to 15 hours in each 3 month quarter.
For more information contact:
Becky Olthof at firstname.lastname@example.org
or 601-352-2580 ext. 241
Zoo Teens - We are full for the summer of 2013. Please apply next year. Applications will be accepted starting March 2014.
Zoo Teens are volunteers (13-17 years old) that are interested in becoming an active volunteer during the summer months at the zoo. Following the summer months, volunteering is still highly encouraged. Duties include education animal care, interacting with zoo guests, assisting with summer camp, and more! Spaces in the program are limited. Applicants will be required to submit an application and participate in an interview. Those selected for the program will be required to attend training on May 30th and 31st.
Please fill out and submit the following application.
Deadline: April 19th, 2013
Must volunteer a minimum of 16 hours per month during the summer and 8 hours per month throughout the rest of the year.
- Shows leadership skills among peers.
- Ability to work alone or in a group setting.
- Follows directions accurately and in a timely manner.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Interest in animal care and the environment (Experience in this area a plus.)
- A positive attitude.
- A willingness to work hard and get dirty!
- A 2-day group training session will be held May 30th and 31st. The training sessions are 6 hours long.
- Pass the basic animal test (at the end of training.)
- Pass the basic animal handling certification on at least 2 "beginner" animals.
For more information please contact the Jackson Zoo Education Department or
phone: (601) 352-2580 ext 241.
The events at the Jackson Zoo would not be possible without the hard work of many dedicated volunteers. From the people who help with the celebrity scoopers at Ice Cream Safari, and the ones who dress up as not so scary "monsters" and help us make Boo at the Zoo fun. Everyone who puts in their valuable free time is important to us we want them to know…"We couldn’t do it without you!"
If you or your group or company is interested in volunteering at the Zoo, we welcome your help at these special events scheduled for 2012:
- Zoo Brew - April
- Ice Cream Safari - July
- Zoo Party - September
- Boo at the Zoo - last two weekends in October
If you are interested in becoming an event volunteer, contact the Jackson Zoo Education Department or call: (601) 352-2580 ext 241.