Who are Zoo Teens?
|Zoo Teens are a group of 13-17 year olds that are interested in wildlife, conservation, and working with others. Zoo Teens share their passions with our zoo guests in a variety of ways.
Zoo Teens can be found in the Discovery Zoo working with the animals in the Contact Yard.
They may be at an exhibit sharing information about animals and conservation. Perhaps, they’ll be helping with our educational camps for younger children.
No matter what a Zoo Teen is doing, they are always having a good time, while providing an invaluable service to the zoo, the animals, and to wildlife and wild places.
What are the requirements to be a Zoo Teen?
- Between 13 and 17 years old by Jan 1st.
- Pay a $30 Zoo Teen tuition that covers training materials and Zoo Teen t-shirt.
- Commit to a minimum of 100 hours between June and August.
- Have a current TB skin test and tetanus vaccination.
How to become a Zoo Teen?
Teens must complete the online Zoo Teen application. In addition, a minimum of two recommendations forms are required to be filled out and mailed directly to the zoo (teachers, school staff, or community leaders are recommended).
Applications open February 1 and all applications and recommendations forms are due by April 30
. Applications are reviewed in April and candidates demonstrating their enthusiasm for the zoo and for wildlife and conservation will be notified by the end of April and invited to Zoo Teen training in late May.
The Zoo Teen Timeline
All Zoo Teens begin with a summer semester.
February 1 – April 30 – Applications accepted
April – Selected applicants notified
Late May – Training for new and returning Zoo Teens
June, July, August – Zoo Teen summer semester
August – Exceptional Zoo Teens invited to apply for year-round Zoo Teen volunteering opportunities.
September – Start of Zoo Teen fall semester
February – Start of Zoo Teen spring semester
NEW Zoo Teen Applications
What to do to complete your Zoo Teen Application
- Read the requirements of the zoo teen programs.
- Read the entire zoo teen application to be sure you know the pieces you will need to complete.
- Identify two references and have them complete the Zoo Teen Reference Form.
- References should be adults (18 years or older) who know you well, but are not related to you (teacher, family friend, etc.)
- Give your references the forms at least two weeks before April 30.
- Here is a sample of a letter to help you when your reference. Remember to tell your reference about the program, where they can get information about the program, and where to get the reference forms (this website). References can now fill out an online form. Direct them to this page to get the reference form link.
- Complete the application with all needed information. Answer the essay questions.
- Ask questions. Contact us with any questions about the application or program requirements at 601-352-2580 ext 240 or come to one of our Informational Sessions: 2017 dates to be determined.
Returning ZOO TEEN APPLICATIONS
Complete and return the returning zoo teen application before April 1, 2017. Contact Education if you would like to volunteer before the summer season begins. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.