Volunteer with the Jackson Zoo!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Jackson Zoo. Our volunteers work in a variety of areas around the zoo including, animal care, education, and special events.
Our volunteers provide much of the manpower being around the zoo and there is a area that your interests and level of involvement.
Looking to volunteer regularly at the Jackson Zoo, join our Zoo Crew or Zoo Teen programs.
Zoo Crew - Adult Volunteers
Our Zoo Crew Volunteers are an important part of the Jackson Zoo. The Zoo Crew creates quality experiences for guests and support programs that promote the Jackson Zoo’s mission. We have opportunities for people of all ages and abilities.
Qualities we look for in our Zoo Crew:
- A genuine interest in nature and conservation.
- Friendly, outgoing, dependable. A positive attitude is a must!
- Reliable and able to commit to a minimum of 1 year and 72 hours per year.
Our Zoo Teens are packed full of animals knowledge and help out as exhibit guides in addition to helping keepers in the Discovery Zoo working with our animal ambassadors.
Have a little less time to commit? Look at these volunteer opportunities.
If you are interested in helping with an upcoming event please email email@example.com and ask to be added to our Event Volunteer Email List, so you will receive emails about our event needs. Updates can also be found on our Volunteer Facebook page.
If you or a group you work with may be interested in participating, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 601-352-2580 x245.
Landscaping Volunteer Calendar
- January 14th 8-10am – January Landscaping Volunteer Day
- February 11th 8-10am – February Landscaping Volunteer Day
- March 11th 8-10am – March Landscaping Volunteer Day
College Service Hours
More Information Coming Soon.
Have a special project or group?
Eagle Scout Projects
- Wildlife conservation
- Visitors experience
- Educational programming
The zoo must be contacted at least one month prior to the proposed start of the project.
Organizations can choose to volunteer for on-going or one-time projects, events, and activities. The tasks for each project and event vary greatly, but each one offers your group the opportunity to have fun and provide a valuable service to the Zoo.
Types of Group Volunteer Projects:
- Outdoor Projects – Raking leaves, moving substrate (soil, sand, rocks, gravel), planting shrubs, flowers, etc. Each project will vary depending on the needs of the zoo and the interest of the group.
- Indoor Projects – Preparing materials for programs, sorting items for special events, stuffing membership, or event bags, etc. The exact project will vary due to the time of year and needs of the zoo.
- Special Events – Helping with zoo with event setup, greeting guests, manning craft and activity tables, providing event support, cleanup, etc. Major zoo events include Zoo Day, Dream Night, Earth Day/Party for the Planet, Ice Cream Safari, Splash Back into School, Boo at the Zoo, Santa Station
While we do try to accommodate all projects, availability is based on the needs of the Zoo. There will be no contact with any animals. The zoo must be contacted at least one month prior to the proposed start of the project (email@example.com).
Contact our education department at 601-352-2580 x 240 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SIGN UP NOW