|Zoo Teens are a group of 13-17 year olds that are interested in wildlife, conservation, and working with others. Zoo Teens share their passions with our zoo guests in a variety of ways. They may be at an exhibit sharing information about animals and conservation. Sometimes they help with our educational camps for younger children, or perhaps they are working specific projects for staff. Many of them love getting training on the proper care and handling of the Discovery Ambassador Animals.
No matter what a Zoo Teen is doing, they are always having a good time, while providing an invaluable service to the zoo, the animals, and to wildlife and wild places.
Zoo Teen Requirements
- Between 13 and 17 years old by Jan 1st
- Commit to a minimum of hours between June and August
- Commit to working Blue Bell Ice Cream Safari plus one additional summer event
- Have a current TB skin test and tetanus vaccination
ALL Teens must complete the Zoo Teen application. In addition, new Zoo Teens must submit a minimum of two recommendations (teachers, school staff, or community leaders are recommended).
Applications and recommendation forms are due by end of April
, and those who are chosen will be notified to start their Zoo Teen training in late May.
THE ZOO TEEN TIMELINE
All Zoo Teens begin with a summer semester.
May (Date TBD) – MANDATORY meeting for all Zoo Teens and PARENTS
June, July, August – Zoo Teen summer semester
First Friday in June – Dream Night
Second Saturday in July – Blue Bell Ice Cream Safari
July 28 – Global Tiger Day
First Weekend in August – Zoo Teen End of Summer Party
September – Exceptional Zoo Teens invited to apply for year-round Zoo Teen volunteering opportunities.
Zoo Teen Applications
What to do to complete your Zoo Teen Application
- Read the requirements of the zoo teen programs.
- Read the entire Zoo Teen application to be sure you know the pieces you will need to complete.
- Complete the application with all needed information. Answer the essay questions.
- NEW TEENS ONLY
- Identify two references and have them complete the Zoo Teen Reference Form.
- References should be adults (18 years or older) who know you well, but are not related to you (teacher, family friend, etc.)
- Give your references the forms at least two weeks before April 25.
- Here is a sample of a letter to help you when your reference. Remember to tell your reference about the program, where they can get information about the program, and where to get the reference forms (this website). References can now fill out an online form. Direct them to this page to get the reference form link.
- Ask questions. Contact us with any questions about the application or program requirements at 601-352-2580 ext 240.